History

 

Baptist Christians have been in this area of south Devon for many generations and there has been a congregation in Bovey since the mid-seventeenth century.  The present building was erected in 1824, two years after the remains of the monastery were demolished.

In 1976, rural congregations local to Bovey Tracey were struggling. As a response to this a formal agreement was signed between Bovey Tracey, Moretonhampstead and Lustleigh Baptist congregations to form one church called East Dartmoor Baptist Church (EDBC).  The purpose of this was to work together for mutal support, encouragement and mission.

Later on, the congregations of Christow and Chudleigh also joined EDBC. However, due to the last members of Christow congregation moving out of the village, it finally closed in 2004.  In contrast, Chudleigh experienced considerable growth and so, with the blessing of the rest of EDBC, it became an independent church on 1st January 2010.  In that year also, both Moretonhampstead and Lustleigh congregations felt they could serve their communities more effectively if they became independent churches;  this they did, with the blessing of the congregation at Bovey.

The church now operates as an independent church under the name of 'Bovey Tracey Baptist Church' (BTBC) and is a charitble organisation in its own right, continually seeking to grow and serve the local communities in the years ahead.